perjantai 8. lokakuuta 2010

Itsy bitsy iPad... Urbans and pet peeves.

Hello internet!

Ok now that I've had this glorious piece of modern tech sweetness for almost 5 months, I thought to myself it to be rather odd that I haven't properly mentioned anything about it. Hence the next section of my blog I like to call:


"WHY MY IPAD BEATS YOU DOWN!".

Ok to start off I have tried to be quiete about the fact that I have one. Only thing is it's hard to avoid blatant stares and questions that usually start with the same jist or tone of voice: "Didn't u know that it's a no good overpriced toy?" or my personal favourite "oh you have THAT? Don't you like need two so you can work and listen to music?" or even the occational "why did you get that, I couldn't imagine buying that because I need [insert name of windows only based software]."

And just so I don't immediately come off as an elitist jerk I'll start off with the cons of the ipad that are cons only comparing them to a regular laptop. I'm not going into a debate wether or not I should still be carrying a pen and paper with me :)


So you want to hear about the cons, huh...?

"There is no multitask yet is there?". That said I hope you noticed the yet in there (he he he I said yeti there, cough). Apple have promissed a forthcoming update in november which will among other things include multitasking. Also I hear about wireless printing and video over the air (I think I even saw the word DLNA for those who understand about those things). But even without multitasking I have to hand it to the software engineers. The software programs remember things well. For instance when I had to close up this text editing software just to get a link to copypaste here the page was automatically saved and opened up when I came back to it. So in a sence it felt like alt tabbing out. Web pages (and also the numerous opened tabs) all open up when restarting the browser too. Spotify remembers which song was playing last. And to answer the question about listening to music while doing other stuff? Yes the ipad has always supported having ipod open and playing while doing other stuff like let's say writing a blog.. Something about the new update here: http://www.apple.com/ipad/software-update/

"No real keyboard equals bad typing?" Well yes it does. Compared to an actual hardware keyboard this is alot harder. I might even have a few typos while writing this blog, but then again the ipad supports BT keyboards and there are very portable ones out there that one could get if they typed alot. But then again I've made my peace with the touch screen.

"The OS is not open enough and I can't get software on it that I want!" This is a tricky one. Yes indeed it is. I honestly can't break this one other than by saying that what is it actually you want to do and does the iPad have to do it for you? All I'm saying that my windows mobile phone has office and I wouldn't dream of using it on it. All the while when the ipad is not exactly a replacement for the laptop - it does come far. And what I think is for the most part it's enough. The amount of software available for the iPad is perplexing and more are coming. Don't forget that you can always jailbreak your ipad and get even more on it if you don't feel the need to pay for stuff. I can watch movies, listen to music (also online via spotify), browse the web, read and write e-mails and books, chat using various programs (msn, fb chat, google talk etc.) and the ipad is not half arsed as a gaming device either. The possibilities of a touch screen haven't been fully utilised yet, but one instance springs to mind: board games! There are oodles of them!

No flash? Get over it flash should die out. Html 5 is an excellent substitute for online videos. I seriously doubt that anyone would not buy the ipad because you cannot play online flash-based browser games on it. Am I wrong? Besides flash does tend to have alot of security issues now and again. http://www.google.fi/search?q=flash+security+issues&hl=en&client=safari&prmd=n&source=univ&tbs=nws:1&tbo=u&ei=TtiuTOiXHsegOuabmdIF&sa=X&oi=news_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCMQqAIwAw

No camera. Well yah that's a shame I guess. But then again my phone has one and I can use a software called bump to transfer the images. But still a small webcam would be sweet.

No usb. True. Haven't found many things I'd want attached to it though..


That was the cons and quickly proof reading it made me feel it was also a good pros section, he he. But to the actual pros:

TEN HOURS OF VIDEO PLAYBACK. Two days of normal use otherwise. Beat that on your 500e laptop.

Large touchscreen that is not only fluid and responsive - has a very good resolution too.

Does not crash. No. Never.

Remembers stuff that I've done so it doesnt feel like closing programs more like minimizing.

I've managed to get it to respong to 8 finger touches simoultaniously without it hanging or slowing down.

Light weight and small.

No fan, completely passive cooling. Also doesnt really heat up.

Easy to use. Literally pull it out of a bag like a magazine and its ready for use.

When you 'shut it down' as in turn the screen off the battery seems to last forever. But even though it does it still beeps if I get pushmail. <3

You never have to actually turn the machine completely OFF.

Has a microphone and 3,5mm headphone jack.

Because of it's form factor and light weight I can attach it with ease to the dashboard of my car. 10 inches of gps baby. I use velcro on it and it works like a charm. I also put a few white velcro strips in my appartment so I can attach the ipad in places where it could be useful. Useful youtube video demonstrating this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZ7VdwY5cQ


I'm planning on getting a ipad supported stylus so I can actually write math notes and equations down during class. I hate to use paper but until then typing numerical equations down on a keyboard is a big pain (on any computer).


All of that being said I'm confident that anyone who stuck with it and read all the way through should have atleast understood that the ipad is not merely an overpriced toy. After that, though, it's not my problem if you don't want one. I still do. :)

Be safe internet, use a prophylactic when needed.
Sincerely,
RJ aka BaQu82
_______________
Sent from my iPad

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti